Saturday, November 13, 2010

In teaching others, we teach ourselves...

Most of you probably know that I have struggled with my major and what career to choose in college so far. Going into my Freshman year, I was a Biological Sciences major, which was actually just by chance, but I just went with it. I had thought about changing to education or something else but decided I would do something in the medical field, mainly for a good, money-making job. So I did the whole science thing my first year, and it was fine. But at the beginning of this past semester, I was talking randomly with a friend who had just changed to Elementary Education. We talked and everything she was saying was matching up and making sense to me (definitely a God thing). It helped me realize that I needed/wanted to change my school path. I then changed my major to undeclared the second day of school and changed my classes to randomness (can't wait for new classes next semester!).
All that to say.. last week I officially changed to Elementary Ed, and I couldn't be more excited! Honestly, I can't stop thinking about it. When struggling to know what I needed to do in the medical field or wherever last year, everyone always asked what my passion was and the only real answer I could manage was kids. I love music but don't have the talent or passion; I love to help people but lack the ability to do anything with blood or bodies. But kids bring me joy no matter what. Yes, they can be annoying and can sometimes push every wrong button, but they will always make me smile. They will always be the most precious things I've ever seen. And I cannot wait to work with them for my job. What an awesome thing to be able to help shape and be a part of children's lives. I only hope that the Lord will bless me with the motivation to be the best I possibly can with this career. Teachers can be a very special part of your life, and people you remember and talk about for a very long time, so I hope to be all I can for the little ones in my future (assuming this is the path He will continue to lead me on). Just a little bit of what's on my mind and in my heart currently. Please be in prayer for me during this exciting journey.

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
The fruit of the womb is a reward."
Psalm 127:3
 
I'm at home in Tupelo this weekend and am so happy to be here. I need to be getting a lot done for school world, but obviously that's not happening at the moment. It'll just have to wait until tomorrow.
 
Countdown update:
-Dave in 3 days..... ahhhhhh
-Birthday in 36 days.
-Christmas in 42 days.
 
Much love, Anna